Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Un-Wedding

This book was alright. I have never had to deal with divorce in my family, but have friends who's parents are divorced. It just seemed kind of silly to me that these kids would celebrate parents being divorced. Then to show that the parents built two separate houses on the same land and the kids use a secret tunnel to go back and forth also provides a false sense of what it will be like when families divorce. I didn't really find this book controversial as much as I found it extremely unrealistic. Obviously it's for younger kids and they try to make divorce seem like a good thing, which in some cases it can be, but they do not show the kids feeling's at all in this book. The cover shows it all with the two kids smiling while they cut the cake in half. Maybe you could read this to super young children, but for kids in 2nd grade and above, it would really give them a false view of what divorce is.

No comments:

Post a Comment