Thursday, March 12, 2009

Heather Has Two Mommies


Obviously the story of lesbian parents. Great picture on page two of one of the mom's wearing a No Nukes shirt, very cliche I think. Granted the majority of people who support Gay and Lesbian rites are Liberal and most likely don't believe in Nuclear war (obviously) , but the whole shirt was just a little over the top. The book goes on to describe how different Heather is with her two mommies and she feels sad because she doesn't have a daddy, which is not true, because every child has to have a mom and a dad, but that would just be too confusing to explain in a children's book about lesbians, which in itself is difficult to explain. I didn't really find this book too controversial. At the program I work at we had siblings who had lesbian parents, and they would come and pick up the kids and even after hearing other kids ask, "You have two mom's?" The kids would answer yes and it would be left at that. No one really cared, I'm sure kids talked about it, but I never overheard anything and it seemed like maybe a big deal for all of 5 minutes. I also have a child who was adopted by two guy's, and I have never even heard a word mentioned to him before. Now this could all be due to the fact that we live in the most liberal town in Iowa, but for the record the students I see have done a fantastic job of minding their own business and not being mean to the students who do not have the traditional family. I'm catholic and when people ask me about gay marriage my response is, "If gay people want to be just as miserable as married people why not let them."

No comments:

Post a Comment