Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Misfits


The Misfits in my opinion is a book version of "The Wonder Years" I can hear the guy's voice as I read this book. The narration is speaking to the reader and this is what gives me this feeling. After reading the first half of this book I get the feeling that this is a very cliche book. The stereotypes in this book are very standard. The fat kid, the sceezy dirty guy, the loud prominent girl and the gay kid. I just get the feeling that while reading this the author picked out the characters that were most stereotyped in junior high and overplayed them. after hearing about how controversial of a book this was, I was kind of disappointed. The only thing really controversial to me would by the Joe kid who was of a different sexual orientation and even then, what ks are watching on T.V. and the video games (Grand Theft Auto) kids are playing, who really cares that this kid is gay. I went to a Catholic school and for me it should be a huge culture shock with a gay kid in a book, but to tell the honest truth my parents raised me well enough to not even give a shit about someones orientation, skin color, nationality or anything else that could be different about them. And after these years of growing up and maturing I think it's more odd to meet someone who HAS a problem with difference then someone who doesn't.



Spoiler ALERT!!!

After reading the rest of the book....I am really glad the kids didn't win the election......wouldn't be the Misfits if they were winners.

1 comment:

  1. Drew,
    I cracked up when I read this post. I'm pretty glad they didn't win the election either, because it's hard to be the losers when you win. And ever since you mentioned the Wonder Years thing in class, I couldn't stop thinking about that as I read it. I agree, too, about how lame of a controversial book this is. Seriously, we can't have books about gay people? Great post - see ya in class!

    ReplyDelete