Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Dot


Peter H. Reynolds lovely story about a young girl in art class whose frustration finally takes over and instead of giving up on her art creation she just slams down a dot on her paper. Her teacher has the utmost faith in the child, Vashti, and frames Vashti's dot. The next day when Vashti sees her artwork framed, she thinks, "I can make a better dot then that!" She then lets her imagination take over and creates many different dots in many different colors in many different ways. In the end her artwork hangs in a studio and a little boy is literally looking up to Vashti as an artists and wishes that "he can do that". Vashti then asks the boy to draw her a line, which he does, and she then frames it, paying it forward and planting the artist seed that was planted in her in him.

1 comment:

  1. This seems like a really cool book! I love feel-good stories about children's art because I think it gives children that stuggle with art hope, motivation, and confidence to not give up on art. I wish an adult would have read me some books like this when I was little to boost my self-esteem in the area of art. I submitted a post about the book "The Class Artist" that I found to be enjoyable.

    I'm going to check out this book, thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete